The world of COVID-19 is certainly challenging, so we're calling on creativity. We believe there are unique ways to create a Dig Pink experience with your volleyball team, even if a volleyball match is not involved.
By implementing a minimum of one or two elements from each of the Impact Playbook building blocks (Community Connection, Education, Athlete Engagement, and Fundraising) you can build an impactful experience. Remember to follow CDC Guidelines as well as local & state orders when planning your campaign.
Drive-In movie theatres have been popping up all over recently, so it got us thinking...why not host your Backyard or Drive-In movie night as part of your Dig Pink experience? This is a great way to get your team together, and create a fun night for the neighborhood!
Needs for the Event
- Quality video projector
- Large Projector screen
- PA/Sound system or large speakers
- A large, open space (find out who on the team has the biggest lawn or contact your local Drive-In theatre and see if they will donate the space)
- Blankets or lawn chairs for seating (be sure to space families 6ft apart)
- Snacks, such as popcorn, candy and drinks
Check with your school or club or members of your team, as they may have equipment like a projector or PA System that they may allow you to borrow. Otherwise, there are many great options available on smile.amazon.com (select Side-Out Foundation as your charity of choice).
- Share your Side-Out fundraising page with everyone invited to the movie night and in your neighborhood(s)
- Charge "admission" to your movie night as donations to the cause
- Sell concessions as a fundraiser, such as drinks, popcorn, and candy and donate the profits to your fundraising page
- A great way to educate everyone about Side-Out is to show The Side-Out Story before your main movie. This educates everyone about The Side-Out Foundation and the cause your event is supporting! You can view The Side-Out Story here.
- Speak to every one over your PA system about Side-Out's mission and the importance of supporting stage IV breast cancer before your movie begins.
Athlete Engagement Tips
- Have student-athletes plan the event. Their teamwork off the court will build chemistry and teach project planning skills as they coordinate tasks together!
- If one player really stands out as a leader, encourage them to be a Side-Out Ambassador.
This is just a basic outline for you to follow and help get you started. Feel free to build upon it and make it even more of a special night!